Saturday, 3 May 2014

It's a Bomma! Part 2.


Welcome back to the second instalment of the Blasta Bomma project log

It’ll seem like I've made a lot of progress since the last post - I haven’t (sad face). These posts are retrospective and any progress is progress that has happened in the past.
At some point, the progress in the past will become (in respect to this point of time) progress that happened in the future. Of course, the future progress will be past (or current) progress when I blog about it. If I report that progress that will happen in the future as if it were progress that occurred in the past; everyone will get confused. Also, I won’t be able to take photos of it unless I invent a tachyon camera. I don’t think I'm very likely to do that, because if I had done so in the future, I should already be receiving photos from it in the past, which is now; well, then.   And I'm not, so I didn't, or won’t.

Well, I'm glad that’s all cleared up.

In respect of taking pictures: I haven’t done enough of that either. Some of what I have done, you can’t see in progress, so you’ll have to take my word for some things. Some of what I have done will happen in a big “yay, everything is complete now” plot jump thing.

Take me on your mighty wings
Bearing that previous comment in mind: wings have magically occurred. I deviated significantly from the A10 pattern on this - the wings ended up at the top of the fuselage rather than at the bottom.
This is for aesthetic and practical reasons.
       Aesthetic: I think it’ll look better this way.
       Practical: I couldn't put the wings at the bottom as there was nothing there to give much support to them.        - See previous comments on planning - or lack of.
The wings will be packing much ordnance, and I didn't want that ordnance to foul the ground when the plane was being used as scenery.

The wings will end up being heavy, so I wanted something more than plasticard at the core of them.
My second maxim states “If in doubt, apply copious MËTAL” and the black strip running through the plumbing pipe tube is a steel strip.
To stop the metal strip from moving laterally, the strip had two holes drilled in it at either side of the plumbing pipe and cotter pins made from steel rod inserted.
To cement the joint, two part epoxy resin (specifically Unibond Repair eXpress power putty) was moulded round the joint and this has set like granite. These wings aren't going anywhere.

To create the wing cross section shape, a template was made, cut and copied. A central section was removed from each for placement on the steel strip.
Channel strip was glued between the sections for strength and to prevent the sections from moving along the wing. When the plating is laid down on the wings (one of the final sections of the build) the sections will help to set the shape of the wing.

The tail section was also created at this stage. This was going to be much lighter than the wing and I was happy that plasticard alone would support the weight

Come on and let me see you shake that tail feather. 
The rest of the tail piece was built up with rectangular tubing for the flat sections and twin layered plasticard for the uprights. Again, the built sections will be scaffolding for later plating. Holes were left for me to build up the rudders later. 

I've perched Ug the Unpainted (an Ork boy) on top of the Bomma for scale. It's going to be a big 'un.

I've run out of rubbish captions. 

And that’s it for now. The Bomma is beginning to look a little like a plane.

The next post will be about the cockpit, which is retrospectively taking shape (has taken shape) in the the future (the past) nicely.


2 comments:

  1. Nice! That's really coming along great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mordian. It looks faster than it was...

    ReplyDelete