Skip to main content

The Eighth Knight

Ways to maintain a high output of painted models no. 314: don’t buy a pimp-ass PC.

Now, as you might be able to tell by the way the Beard Bunker produced half as many posts in 2014 as it did in 2012, I bought a pimp-ass PC. Woo spaceships woo. Now I’ve done very, very well at STARTING projects... just not so well with the finishing part. A few spearmen here, a few greatswords there. One thing that I have done, though, is to paint a new member of the Silver Drakes. Why have I done so? Because Erhard von RĂĽdiger is dead.

If anyone who’s been following our campaign is remotely interested in the how and the why, leave a message in the comments section and I’ll go into it. Mostly, though, I figure the campaign story is only interesting to the people who are playing it.

Now Mr von RĂĽdiger used to ride with the Inner Circle of the Silver Drakes, so his departure left a hole in the unit that needed filling. I’ve since filled it with a character who might one day become a hero but at the moment is just the order’s newest recruit:

Rosa von Kleinberg: new to the chapter and already looking bossy as ---k.

In case you’re wondering, the head is from Statuesque miniatures. Their heads are amazingly sculpted, but slightly too large for many 28mm models. Fortunately, these old knight sculpts are bloody enormous, so she fits in just fine.

When I was taking photos of Rosa’s model, it occurred to me that I’d never actually done a post showing these chaps off, which seemed like a bit of an oversight. What with them being an Inner Circle unit, I went to the trouble of making each one of them unique. I wanted them to feel less like a generic unit of harder-than-average knights and more like the seven samurai. With that in mind, here’s the rest of ’em...

Sir Amand, First Preceptor

Sir Bernhard, Chapter Ensign

Sir Edmund, Master of Ceremonies (phat trumpet beatz all round)

Sir Amir, Master of the Watch

Sir Ottomar, Keeper of the Lore

Sir Dieter, Master of the Armoury

Sir Werner, Master of Recruits


As time goes by, I may upgrade Ms von Kleinberg to a captain, and maybe (after a few years) to Grand Master. I’m still not sure if it’d be best to improve her stats one-by-one, and gradually increase her points cost, or if it’d be better just to leap from knight to captain in one fell swoop because rules. If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, or interesting mechanics for slowly increasing her stats, I’d be curious to hear them.


~Charlie

Comments

  1. Well, in fact, I've been following your blog in the first place for your campaign and te way you introduce fluff in every aspect of your army, being painting, conversion, playing... Well call it substitution, but, in some case some of us are not lucky enough to have people around us who want to play the aspect of fluff. In fact, most of my old adversaries only want to crush theirs opposing armies with unpainted miniatures only present for their mathematic values in game.. So I would gladly want to know what happen to Erhard (and also about the mysteriously missing wizard...)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Strange as it sounds, it hadn't occurred to me that gamers who enjoyed the narrative aspects of wargaming wouldn't have access to that kind of gaming themselves.

      I'll knock something together for the next post to cover von Rudiger's exit and Amelia's disappearance :)

      Delete

Post a Comment