Skip to main content

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your (daemon) engines!

Maisey: I know I have said this before, and I know I’ll be saying it again at some point in the future, but as of right now the Thousand Sons are done. Yes done. Completely. 100% totally farm fresh done. 5pm Friday afternoon type done. Take the turkey out of the oven because it’s done done. I’ve reached a very healthy 1750 pts worth of stuff. I was actually aiming at 1500 pts but I had a slight misunderstanding around the way 8th edition calculates points. So now being clear that nothing comes for free anymore I’ve arrived at 1750 pts. Which to me is a very solid core of a collection.

It's always hard getting everything into a single photo, but you get the idea.
The latest and last things added to the army, beyond what we’ve seen here before, is a huge pile of worthless cannon fodder glorious Cultists, 30 of them to be exact, more Tzaangor, a pair of Helbrutes, and a rather large Forgefiend. I do have some reasonings behind these choices.

Introducing Nuterhek...
Firstly the cultists, I’ve always seen Chaos Marines being rare and powerful, especially with the Thousand Sons, so it never felt appropriate to have huge numbers of marines, but the bulk of the forces being made up of cultists, summoned daemons, and auxiliaries like the Tzaangor. Cultists also gives me a third troops choice to fill out the minimum requirements for the Battalion detachment giving me a tasty 3 additional command points. This approach kept the painting aspect fresh as well meaning that each unit was different and I didn’t have that looming dread of having to paint another batch of 10, 20, 30 later that comes with other factions (I’m looking at you Imperial Guard).

... and Un-Nefer

The daemon engines, the Helbrutes and Forgefiend, where another easy and thematic choice. Even pre-heresy the Thousand Sons used large numbers of psychically controlled Automata and dreadnoughts to help bolster their lower than average numbers. Post-heresy it feels natural for them to have daemon infused Automata and Helbrutes (which I still tend to refer to as dreadnoughts).

The Forgefiend Ammit
 and with his alternative weapon options.

Ok, maybe not completely done.

There are things that I want to add in the future, like I know I want to have a pimped out land raider totally worthy of the glory of Tzeentch, but that involves a whole bunch of conversion kits, parts, and work that I cannot afford and don’t have time for right now. I’m not the greatest when it comes to conversion work. In fact I’m terrible at any form of sculpting and scratchbuilding. I’m fine with making things fit but I just don’t have the vision to create new. I know that this is something that can be learnt and it comes with practice but it’s too far outside of my comfort zone for me to start.

Both Helbrutes have magnetised left arm options, when you need more long ranged boom.

I do have a longer term plan for the Chaos, as I’m very much into them right now and they have become my go to army for 40k games. I’m enjoying playing with them and it feels good to be bad. With 8th edition’s detachment rules, I can have multiple detachments from different factions all working together. I can have some Daemons and some Fallen and some renegade Imperial Guard and some (more) cultists and some renegade Astartes and some… you get the idea. This is me learning to embrace the whims of the hobby butterfly but keep it all loosely tied together and coherent.

Look at it's cute little tail!

So what is next on to the paint station? Well, I have a Platoon of Bolt Action Afrika Korp to be getting on with, also there is some Vampire things that need doing. I’ll have a sit and think and let us just see where the hobby butterfly leads me next.

Maisey

Comments

  1. They look great, and a nice force all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly. I'm happy with how they have come out. There are a couple of little things I would do differently, but you live and you learn. Or at least you live... mostly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, that teal color is mesmerizing. It reminds me of the irridescent carapace of some beetles! How did you manage that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty simple:

      1: Spray Black
      2: Airbrush the whole model with Vallejo Model Color 70.878 Old Gold.
      3: Wash whole model with Carroburg Crimson.
      4: Drybrush with Chainmail (yeah, I'm still rocking a few of the old paints).
      5: Paint in the armour panels with Sotek Green.
      6: Wash the Sotek Green panels with Biel Tan Green. However don't do this neatly, allow the wash to spill over onto the gold. I also added extra green wash into the deepest recesses which darkens up with the red nicely.

      Simple, but it's a good effect :)

      Delete

Post a Comment